It’s always good to have a good news story about matters in Bidston & St. James. Next Thursday at Wallasey Town Hall Wirral’s Cabinet, made up of Liberal Democrat and Conservative councillors will decide whether to spend £1.8 million on Cathcart Street Primary School.
As reported on this blog last year the decision to close nearby Cole Street Primary School will mean some of its pupils will be joining Cathcart Street Primary School.
A detailed Scheme and Estimate Report, picture of what the proposed changes will look like, compared to the current building, existing floor plan and proposed altered floor plan are all available to view by following these links.
If approved next Thursday and agreed by the Planning Committee (or planning officers), work will start in May and (hopefully) be complete by the time of the next school year in September. Due to the closure of nearby St. Laurence’s Primary School, if this scheme is agreed the existing Children’s Centre at St. Laurence’s will be relocated to the Cathcart Primary School site. This scheme includes:-
• Alterations and small extensions to improve the pupil toilet and
• Dry lining the existing internal walls to conceal the exposed brickwork
and block-work and to improve acoustic properties
• Alterations to the internal room layout to provide practical resource areas
adjacent to classrooms and to improve internal circulation.
• Provision of a hygiene room for pupils with disabilities.
• Improved office and reception facilities and a new entrance area.
• Refurbishment of all toilet provision for both pupils and staff.
• Redecoration and new floor finishes throughout.
• Replacement of the existing high level clerestory windows.
• Complete replacement of the roof covering with improved insulation
levels to reduce heat loss.
• A secure external covered play area adjacent to the Foundation
• Replacement boilers and heat emitters.
• Additional classroom ventilation.
• New energy efficient lighting.
• New fire and intruder alarms.
• CCTV security system.
• New fencing throughout to improve the security and appearance of the
In yet another good news story for Cathcart Street, Lib Dem MPs in government have agreed to give schools an extra £430/year for every child on free school meals and those in foster care or who have been adopted. This extra money, which will go directly to schools will mean over £5 million extra money being spent across Wirral helping schools such as Cathcart Street and other schools in Bidston & St. James.