23 Wirral councillors to be elected after Tony Cox resigns; Graham Burgess fires starting gun in local election race
On Monday Wirral Council’s Returning Officer started the election process by publishing the Notice of Election (a copy of it is below). Each ward in Wirral will be electing one councillor, except voters in Greasby, Franky & Irby ward who will be electing two councillors and therefore have two votes in the upcoming local elections.
The reason for this is that Tony Cox has resigned. As Tony Cox was less than two years through a four year term of office you may wonder why? The reason is that he’s been picked as the Conservative candidate for the General Election in Newcastle-under-Lyme and he felt that he couldn’t put his full energies into that without resigning as a councillor for Greasby, Frankby & Irby ward. The two Conservative candidates in Greasby, Frankby & Irby ward this year will be Councillor Wendy Clements and Tom Anderson. Tom Anderson was previously a councillor in Upton ward from 2008 to 2012 (with the lowest majority I remember in recent years of only four votes).
The full notice of election is below.
METROPOLITAN BOROUGH OF WIRRAL
ELECTION OF COUNCILLORS
NOTICE OF ELECTION
For the Wards listed below
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN THAT:
1. Elections are to be held for COUNCILLORS of the under mentioned Wards.
2. The number of COUNCILLORS to be elected is as shown in the Table hereunder:
|Name of ward||No. of COUNCILLORS to be elected||Name of ward||No. of COUNCILLORS to be elected|
|BIDSTON & ST JAMES||1||MORETON WEST & SAUGHALL MASSIE||1|
|BIRKENHEAD & TRANMERE||1||NEW BRIGHTON||1|
|CLATTERBRIDGE||1||PENSBY & THINGWALL||1|
|GREASBY, FRANKBY & IRBY||2||SEACOMBE||1|
|HOYLAKE & MEOLS||1||WALLASEY||1|
|LEASOWE & MORETON EAST||1||WEST KIRBY & THURSTATON||1|
3. Nomination papers must be delivered to the Electoral Services Office, Ground Floor, Town Hall, Wallasey, during normal office hours, from Tuesday, 15th April 2014 to Thursday, 17th April 2014 and during normal office hours, from Tuesday, 22nd April 2014 to 4pm on Thursday, 24th April 2014. Forms of nomination papers may also be obtained at that place, during those times.
4. If the Elections are contested, the poll will take place on Thursday, 22nd MAY 2014.
5. Applications to be included in the register of electors must reach the Electoral Registration Officer at the Town Hall, Wallasey by Tuesday, 6th May 2014, if they are to be effective for the election.
6. Applications, amendments or cancellations of postal votes and changes to proxy voting arrangements, must reach the Electoral Registration Officer at the Town Hall, Wallasey by 5pm on Wednesday, 7th May 2014, if they are to be effective for this election.
7. All new applications to vote by proxy (except those applied for on relevant emergency grounds) must reach the Electoral Registration Officer at the Town Hall, Wallasey by 5pm on Wednesday, 14th May 2014, if they are to be effective for the election.
8. All applications to vote by proxy on relevant emergency grounds (disability occurring after 5pm on Wednesday, 14th May 2014; grounds relating to applicant’s occupation, service or employment where the applicant became aware of those grounds after 5pm on Wednesday, 14th May 2014; or detention under civil powers as a mental health patient) must reach the Electoral Registration Officer at the Town Hall, Wallasey by 5pm on Thursday, 22nd May 2014, if they are to be effective for the election.
DATED: Monday, 14th April
LOCAL RETURNING OFFICER
Printed and Published by the Local Returning Officer, Town Hall, Wallasey, Wirral, CH44 8ED
If you click on any of the buttons below, you’ll be doing me a favour by sharing this article with other people.