Video of Wirral Council Special Cabinet meeting over Lyndale School and copy of Cabinet recommendation for closure
Please accept YouTube cookies to play this video. By accepting you will be accessing content from YouTube, a service provided by an external third party.
If you accept this notice, your choice will be saved and the page will refresh.
Video of the Special Cabinet meeting held on the 4th September 2014 to discuss Lyndale School. Please note there is a small break in filming between parts 5 and 6 in order for depleted batteries to be changed.
Below is a copy of the recommendation agreed at the special meeting of Wirral Council’s Cabinet on the 4th September 2014. An amendment to this recommendation was also proposed and agreed, however the amendment wasn’t circulated to those present at the meeting and the below is the
original (unamended) recommendation Ed – 7/9/14 10:18 recommendation as amended by the new amendment which adds part 1.3.
CABINET – 4TH SEPTEMBER 2014
THE LYNDALE SCHOOL
1.1 Cabinet thanks all those who have participated in the consultation exercise, with particular regard to submissions from parents of children at The Lyndale School.
1.2 Having reviewed the responses received during the consultation process, analysed the alternative options and applied the SEN Improvement Test, is it recommended that:
- Statutory notices be published in respect of the closure of The Lyndale School from January 2016.
- That Wirral Council, under the leadership of the Director of Children’s Services, work individually, with children and families, towards effecting a smooth and supportive transition to an alternative place at one of the following schools:
- Elleray Park Special School
- Stanley Special School
- Another appropriate school
- In doing so, that the Director of Children’s Services, in acknowledgement of the close relationships that exist between staff and pupils at The Lyndale School, investigates if staff could be employed, where possible, at receiving schools, (subject to legal practice and the approval of governing bodies).
- The Director of Children’s Services be authorised to take all necessary steps to publish the proposals and ensure the prescribed procedures are followed, including requesting permissions from the Secretary of State, in furtherance of the proposals.
- A further report be brought on the outcome of the publication of the statutory notices.
- 1.3 That the Director of Children’s Services to ensure that Education, Health and Care Plans for all pupils of the Lyndale School are completed by the 31st October.
2.0 REASONS FOR RECOMMENDATION
2.1 Having looked at all the options, and applied the SEN Improvement Test, it is our opinion that, while we recognise the special place that The Lyndale School has in the affection of parents and children, the continued operation and maintenance of a school of this size will not meet the future educational needs of the children, nor is a financially viable option, especially when there are good alternative options available.
The Council has a responsibility to ensure for the sustainable future provision of education for the pupils of The Lyndale School. In addition, we have to manage resources effectively for all schools and the school population.
This has been a difficult decision to make, and we would like to affirm our continued intention to work positively with the families and the children affected, and reassure parents of our continued commitment to their child’s wellbeing and education.
If you click on any of these buttons below, you’ll be doing me a favour by sharing this article with other people. Thanks:
2 thoughts on “Video of Wirral Council Special Cabinet meeting over Lyndale School and copy of Cabinet recommendation for closure”
Reblogged this on Karl Mercer for Independent Councillor of Seacombe.
Comments are closed.